Friday, March 5, 2010

Genesee County 2010 Sightings

2 Oct 10
Richfield Twp. Park, Holloway Reservoir
Despite the morning rain, I wanted to make the best of it by birding different areas and scouting places new to me. Went for a nice hike along the Flint River kicking up a bird or two here and there.
The rain cleared up by the time I reached Holloway and the birding picked up too.
There were a few species of ducks I wasn't expecting.
2 Horned Grebes, 5 Ruddy Ducks, and a few fly away species.
Large numbers of gulls were by the dam with ~10:1 ratio of Ring Billed Gulls over Herring.
Other notable species on the day...
Swainson's Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Kinglets
RB Nuthatch
Yellow Rumped Warblers

Spent a brief time on the Lapeer Co. side adding a couple of warblers Tennessee and Blackpoll.
I found the area to be full of potential. I would have to recommend that if Chartier and Ziarno ever add to the Michigan Bird Guide that this area be added to it.

12 Jul 10
SW Genesee County Roads
Went looking for the Dickcissels that were reported on Nichols and the Prothonotary Warbler on Lovejoy Rd. Struck out on both, overlooked the habitat and may have missed them on a dumb error, but may try again soon. Bird of the trip was a nice look at a Kestrel.

21 Feb 10
For Mar Nature Center, Mott Lake
Imm. Bald Eagle flying over the nature center at For Mar.
Mott Lake bridge on Genesee Rd. had open water host to ~90 C. Goldenyes, 30 C. Mergansers.
I think I found Mom and Dad Eagles also at the Mott Lake Boat Launch, along with more open water and duck activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment