Wednesday, April 8, 2020

School From Home Session 13 Wednesday April 8th

Hello,

Update:  I am still having difficulty loading video to the blog.  I am learning a WHOLE LOT of patience on learning to cope with the problem.  I will reload the videos for each blog once I get the problem resolved.


Use the link above to watch the video for today's blog posting.

In the meantime... I sent out a message on Class Dojo to start accessing the Google tools we will be using for class soon.
Yesterday I reset all email passwords and we are ready to get started.  You just need to get a hold of me to get your new password so you can start.  Yesterday's blog post shows you step by step how to email me with your new account.
I sent an email out to all of you and hope to hear back from you soon.

Lately:  Teachers are working on overdrive getting prepared to launch a classroom right to you in the comforts of home.  I am looking to reconnect with you so this doesn't become too overwhelming for you when the real lessons start.  Right now it is important for you to learn as much as you can about the Google tools we will be using.  Start checking this blog and Class Dojo regularly.   You should be texting me to get username and password information.  I created a WhatsApp group for our class and a Facebook page but I don't want to put you on technology and communication overload like I have been on lately.  Let's just take it slow and get you started and focus solely on getting your email up and running.

Now:  Today's blog focus is to take you to the next level of Google learning tools and Google apps.
These are things that you can use for the rest of your life and are extremely helpful to everyone that uses them.  The world's most successful people are using all of these tools and you are able to use them too!

So let's begin.
Yesterday I showed you a picture of the Google main page and circled some tools in red.
The focus was email.  Today I will focus on a few more things.

1) Images- I use Google Images a whole lot and whenever I read The Cay, I stopped to show you images of things like; sea urchins, cays, petrels, etc.  This is a very helpful tool when you would like to know what something looks like.  I showed you in class that you can look up a word on Google and it will give you the definition.  I also showed you using Google Translate that you can go and listen to how a word in pronounced or said when you get a word you are having trouble sounding out.

2) The Google Suite (also know as G-Suite or the waffle)-  There are so many apps in the Google Suite.  There are some that I am learning about, some I have been using for years and others I have never looked at.  I will start today helping you get familiar with things we will be using.

Your task:  At this point you should have contacted me and sent me an email.  Today you will send me another email but this time you will send me an image from Google Images so you can see how it works and what you can use it for.


Let's go back to yesterday's picture
If you want to see the pictures I put on the blog better, just click on the picture.
You should go to the Google Main Page and click on the work "Images"






Once you click Images you should see a screen very similar to the one you just used but will now say Google but will have the word Images on it.
From here you can start to look up things.

X marks the spot!
The search bar is circled in blue.
This is where you type what you would like to see.

I went looking for birds and getting in some exercise recently when I heard an Eastern Meadowlark.  
This type of bird has a very distinct call and I eventually found the bird through my binoculars in a field where I would expect to find one.  The Eastern Meadowlark is a bird more commonly found on this eastern side of Mississippi and Missouri River.  This bird is a member of the icterid family or part of the blackbirds like you may be more used to.  They migrate as far south as Mexico up to as far north as southern Canada.  They usually begin to arrive in Michigan in late March to begin breeding before flying back south for the winter.

Your task:  Type Eastern Meadowlark into the search bar and press enter on your key board or click the magnifying glass in the search bar.

You will see a bunch of images of the Eastern Meadowlark pop up on your screen.  You can click on these and they will take you to the link or website that provided these pictures.  

Your task:  I want you to use the right click button on one of the pictures.  Go down and click "copy image."

If you are using a cell phone, you can simply click on the picture and press "added".  This will save the image for you in a file called Favorite Images.  Once you save the image there, you can click on the image again and then you will find the "copy" button.

Now that you have copied an image.  You job now to send it to me in an email.

The next step is type my email address in the "To" space.
(my email is ocbirdguy@gmail.com OR elewandowski@ocamt.academy)
In the "Subject" space type: Meadowlark Picture
Below Subject use the right click button again and click "Paste".

Your Meadowlark image should be ready to send.
Click the Send button.

That takes care of using Google Images.
So let's move on to Google Suite (the waffle)
Click on the 9 dot button on the main Google screen.

You will see a bunch of Google apps pop up on your screen.

Use the gray scroll bar on that pop up screen to go to the app called Hangouts.
Go ahead and click on this.

I will be sending you an email with a link to connect to Google Hangouts.  At 3pm on Thursday April 9, (tomorrow afternoon) we will attempt to take our first journey as a class to using video to communicate.

You can download the Google Hangouts app on your cell phone and use that also if the computer is not available.
Don't forget the school is trying to get a hold of you guys that need a computer.  They want you to use the school Chromebooks and will set you up with an internet hotspot.

I won't go any further on how to use the Hangout app.  I will talk about the features you can use when we talk to each other face to face tomorrow.  It will be great to see your faces again and have a real conversation with you.

So... Send me a hello email, send me a google image email with a picture of an Eastern Meadowlark and take a look at the Google Suite app called Hangouts and/or download the app on your phone.

Looking forward to seeing and talking to you tomorrow.

Until then... See Ya'!


No comments:

Post a Comment