Thursday, April 9, 2020

School From Home Session 14 Thursday April 9th- Monday April 13th

Hello,
I started this blog on Thursday so it has been a continuation from then and I am editing some content so it is relevant and up to date.


Update:  I figured out how to load video in a different way than I intended.  You will now see a link now in the blog like the picture below.

CLICK ME TO WATCH VIDEO FEED FOR TODAY'S BLOG POST


Lately:  I am getting a hold of you.  We need to bring the band back together, meaning we need all of you in the class to start using your technology for more than just Minecraft and TikTok and oh whatever video game that sucked the hours of your life away.
I know, I know,  I am so evil👿 for reaching out to you to get the learning world back into your life but that is the reality and your 1 month hiatus away from school has come to a close.  Don't worry, it will take a while for you to get used to the online tools so the kind of school learning you will be doing will be more like taking a class on how to use a computer.  For now, there will be no new Math, Social Studies, etc. involved I promise.  I will be teaching you how to use your computer for real life purposes for now and for your list of life skills.  Today, we will be launching our first classroom video conference on Google Hangouts.  You should find the link in your email.  That starts at noon today (Monday April 13th).  Take 10 minutes (11:50) to give yourself time to set up a space to work in with a computer or cell phone and get used to using this online tool.

Now: I tried with no success to get you all on a video conference today (Friday April 10th). I tried it out with other people afterwards, I found that you need to be invited via email using Google Calendar.  I won't go into all of that but be on the lookout for an invitation in your emails and we can try again today (Monday, April 13th) at noon.

Right Now: I am so excited!  I just got off of the Google Hangout with a fellow 4th grade teacher and one of the students in our class!  Plenty of laughs and teasing each other.  Good times!
So... in order for this to work, as I mentioned, getting into your school email is key.   I will be sending a meeting link to you that way.  You just have to click on the link at that time and we can start our video face to face.  This is encouraging because we have tapped into some success and looking forward to talking to you more of you going forward.

Make that two students now up and running!  Great job!

Today: I am taking an inventory of who needs what to get up and running and try to support you now and everyday until you are good to go.  I am going to start blocking time to work with small groups of you each day in order to do that.
I am setting up another meeting tomorrow at the same time, noon, until I can see what needs to happen going forward.

Tomorrow: I hope to see more of you on a face to face video.  I will hold off on posting a Google Classroom Blog until I get more of you up to speed.  Hope to see you at noon, Tuesday April 14th.  Until then, be well and I will in touch.

Lew









Until then... See Ya'!


No comments:

Post a Comment