Wednesday, March 18, 2020

School From Home Session 3 Wednesday March 18th

March 18th
Update:
I have the emails ready with usernames and passwords for Google Classroom.  Please get a hold of me for those usernames and passwords.  It will be easier to turn in assignments there.  I will get the Google Classroom assignments loaded up.

Shout out:
I am very excited to see that people are in fact using the blog.  Great Job!  Big shout out to DRH, AMR, NL, JA for getting a jump on things.
I will be looking at your work today.
The photos I am receiving are kind of hazy, fuzzy and hard to read.  I may ask you to resubmit them.
Hopefully Google Classroom will be a better way to do that going forward.

Coming Up: 
I have been extremely busy with the blog, communicating and trying different or new things.  I do still hope to get the Podcast and Live feed going.  I want you to see and hear teaching still.  As I had mentioned previously seeing is believing for me and I am quite sure many others.

Reminder:
When I looked yesterday afternoon, I see not many are getting in time on Exact Path or Moby Max for Science.  Try to get that done.  You have until March 27th to get old work completed.
Be Well
Mr. Lew

Today's Assignments
Math
1) memory fact (remember a new one each day)
2) 20 minutes on Exact Path
3) Do Now
4) Need Exit Ticket
5) New Exit Ticket

Reading/Writing
1) 20 minutes on Exact Path
2) Day 2 Spelling
3) Read 20 minutes on Epic
4) Ask someone from home to edit your two writing pieces.
Black History Project

Science
1) Lesson 3 on Moby Max Science Module

Make Up Work?
Check in with me to make up assignments.

I spent a great deal of time getting this prepared on March 13th.
Google Classroom is now available to you. I will start to send me your student's emails, usernames and passwords.
Turning in work can still done via text but would be best by using Google Classroom.  All of the work will be found on this blog and in Google Classroom.  Use the blog first for information. Turn in the work on Google Classroom if possible.

Be Well
Lew

If... you were at school, your day would go like this...
8:00 Mastery Skill
Memorize one of the facts I would ask you at the door (See Monday for the chart)

OR

Work on http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ for 10 minutes to get you warmed up.

8:15 Exact Path Math  (20 minutes)
Log on to your learning path.  My 3 recent students use Moby Max Math.  Your time will still count for you.

8:45 Math Do Now (text me the work when you are done)
March 18th Week 13 Day 3 DO NOW
  1. 103 x 9= (show your work)


  1. 12 x 8= 
  2. 12 x 10=
  3. 12 x 18= (show your work)


  1. Which kind of triangle has two sides that are the same length?  This is a 4th grade geometry skill we haven’t reviewed yet. (Use Google as a reference)
  1. Isosceles
  2. Equilateral
  3. scalene


6) If w = 17, then w times 3 =________ (show your work)


7) Tara likes to draw pictures on the back of her homework papers.  It takes about 5 minutes to draw each picture. This week she turned in 18 homework assignments with pictures on them.  How long did it take Tara to draw the pictures?

SHOW YOUR WORK!!! Draw your thinking…



9:15 Need Exit Ticket
I can update your group if I see you are understanding the work and move you up. I need your work back to determine if you are ready to move up

ALL WORK MUST BE SHOWN!
Albion Group:
1) 48 x 76
2) 541 * 18=
3) 68.9 x 9.2=
4) 5.24 x 6.8=

Battle Creek Group:
1) 481 / 3=
2) 452 / 7=
3) 6.89 / 9=
4) 5.34 / 8=

Clio Group:
1) 5/9 + 3/8 =
2) 9/11 - 3/5=
3) 3/8 * 5/12=
4) (7/8) / (6/7)=

10:00 NEW Skill
TODAY's LESSON
Quick Review:  We are focusing on real world measurements as we would use in the United States.
Our measurement system is much more confusing and hard to remember.

Review:
We have talked about distance and weight in our NEW learning skill.  Today we will shift our focus to Volume but before we do here a few review questions to add to your  March 18th You Do Exit Ticket.

1) Review Question:  Yesterday I was getting very stir crazy working on the computer.  I am training for a running race when this virus thing ends.  So, I ran 6.62 miles. How many yards is that?

2) Review Question:  How much would that be if I only ran half of that.  (Hint: half has a denominator of "2".

3) Review Question:  Instead of going to the store, we ordered a pound and a half of apples from Shipt.  How many ounces of apples did we order?

For today we will switch our focus to volume.
I do:
Part 1) which estimate is better...?
I bought this for cereal and coffee use.  What would be the best unit to estimate its volume?
Image result for half gallon of milk

a) Teaspoons
b) Quarts
c) Tablespoons


The basic units of volume in the United States are: (from smallest to largest)
Get ready to be a little confused... I tell the rest of the world got it right with the metric system!

teaspoon: (tsp) The smaller spoon on the far left 
Tablespoon: (T) The larger of the two spoons
cup: (C) The white measuring cup next to the spoons
pint: (pt.) The bottle of green tea
quart: (qt.) The coffee creamer
gallon: (gal) The large jug of water


Let's get into the math with numbers part:
It takes 3 teaspoons to make 1 Tablespoon.  (Hint: I remember teaspoon is smaller because a "cup of tea" sits on a much larger "Table.")
It takes 16 Tablespoons to make 1 cup.
It takes 2 cups to make a pint.
It takes 2 pints to make a quart.
It takes 4 quarts to make a gallon.
(Now do you miss the metric system?!)

Not confused yet...?
One more monkey wrench to throw at you for math and the good ol' United States measuring system for volume.

Ounces:  yes we can not only measure weight in ounces but also volume.  We can also convert all of these units with an amount in ounces too.
So...
1 tsp = 0.167 fluid oz.
1 T = 0.5 fluid oz.
1 c = 8 fluid oz.
1 pt = 16 fluid oz.
1 qt = 32 fluid oz.
1 gal = 128 fluid oz.

So back to my question about the milk jug...
I know that the big milk jugs are a gallon.  The water jug in the picture looks bigger than milk jug I bought.  I know the milk jug is less than a gallon and therefore the unit smaller than a gallon is a quart.  So my best estimate is in quarts.

a) teaspoon
b) quarts
c) Tablespoons

It will take us a bit longer to understand volume than weight and distance because of all of the unusual measuring types.  So we will take a few days to develop the idea on this.

I do:
Part 2) Make a conversion and solve a real world scenario
I am making a large pot of soup for lunches next week.  The recipe I am using requires many ingredients including chicken broth.
If I am making 2 gallons of soup in a large cooking pot.  The recipes calls for 2 quarts of chicken broth, how many cups of chicken broth would I pour in?

I know it takes 2 cups to make a pint.  I also know it takes two pints to make 1 quart.  
Since the recipe asks for 2 quarts, I will be aware that 2 pints = 1 quart and do that again.  Now I have 4 pints to equal 2 quarts.

So since 4 pints equals 2 quarts, I still need to figure out the amount of cups to pour into the pot.
2 cups equal 1pint and I need four pints.  I will count by 2 cups x 4 pints = 8 cups.

The recipe needs 2 quarts of chicken broth but I will be pouring in 8 cups of it.


YOU DO/EXIT TICKET: SHOW YOUR WORK FOR PART 2, SEND PICTURE BY TEXT
5.MD.A.1 GOLD STAR EXIT TICKET (text your work when finished)

Part 1) Which estimate is better?
Image result for pancakes

You are making a batch of pancakes for breakfast.  Most of the recipe is milk, flour about a cup or so each but you will need a small amount of butter, salt and baking soda  It doesn't take much sugar either.
What would be the best estimate for the amount of sugar you will need for a batch of pancakes

a) gallon
b) Tablespoon
c) cup
d) Kiloliter


Part 2) Make a conversion and solve a real world scenario.
The whole world is raving over my recent soup recipe so you decide you are going to double the soup recipe from the "I do" situation.  You will be making 4 gallons of soup, which means you will need 4 quarts of chicken broth.  How many cups of broth is that? 

Math is done for the day!

12:00 ELA, Science and Social Studies
Daily 5
1) Read to Self- Go on Exact Path and work on Learning Path for Reading.

2) Day 3 Work March 18th
Choose 10 words from your spelling list and find their definitions.  You can use a dictionary, Google or whatever source you have available.


Your words are on Spelling City: http://www.spellingcity.com/users/Maddueces2  or you can go back to Session 1 post and see them there.


3)  Buddy Read- Use any book from Epic to read to your parent, brother, sister, auntie, granny, dog, turtle, whomever, whatever, read what you like for 20 minutes.
(Free Reading Sources) www.getepic.com (9am-5pm M-F) Class Code: 1vq1341

4) Hear Reading- You will hear reading when you log onto Moby Max for Science.
www.mobymax.com

5) Writing- We need to finish our writing pieces
Ask someone to edit your writing pieces in pen or colored pencil.

We should be able to use Google Classroom, you can start sending me your completed writing pieces.
I will be working on giving out your emails and passwords today.
You can also email me at:
ocbirdguy@gmail.com
OR
elewandowski@ocamt.academy

Black History writing piece is also due at the end by of the marking period.
Send those when you are finished.


SCIENCE
Complete the third lesson on the Moby Max Science Module.
It shouldn't take long.
Remember you can go back in the table of contents slides and find the answers.

Have a great day!
Check in with you tomorrow!

END OF THE DAY NEWS:

Don't feel like you are the only ones using a blog.  My youngest daughter (4th grade) is responding to her classmates on a blog sites.  I read on a report that third grades were responding to teachers on email.  You will be able to interact on Google Classroom too.




No comments:

Post a Comment