Monday, March 23, 2020

School From Home Session 6 Monday March 23rd



March 23rd
Update:
Just playing around on websites, emails, learning passwords and working on packets can quickly lose some luster after being stuck in the house all day.  I am currently working on how to tackle the day on the blog with some lessons.  As things in our lives change so quickly I have to go back and adjust to the situation given and teach in a different way.  I posted this on Friday:  I am not going to assign new content beyond Wednesday.  I would like time also to finish grades.  So this coming Thursday and Friday of next week will be a good chance to finish up any work and make up work.
You do have to get a hold of me somehow though to figure out what assignments to focus on.
Much of that will remain true, however,  I saw a drop off on blog attendance Thursday and Friday.  It has me wondering... are you overwhelmed? don't want to do it?  confused?  Whatever the case I am going to try to use this week to adjust and try to maintain support to you and your family in a different way.  This week I will try to incorporate audio and visual feeds to the blogs so what is in front of you will make more sense.

Please be patient, instead of making a new blog with assignments on it, I am working on how to make a video and audio accompaniment to the blog as if I were teaching in front of you.
Please stay tuned and try to update the blog now and then as I will be working on this throughout the day to make it more user friendly to you.

Be Well
Lew

Shout out:
To those of you starting to get into Google Classroom and those of you staying in contact with me.

Coming Up: 
Hopefully you will actually see visual and audio feed to the the blog throughout the day.

Reminder:
All assignments are due Mar 27th.


Today's Assignments
Math
HAVING A STRATEGY WHEN YOU ARE STUCK (NO MORE GUESSING!!!)
1) memory fact (remember a new one each day)


Ok. So. You had a fact to memorize per day over the week.  That means you could have memorized all of your 8s and turned this negative situation into a positive.

This is a picture of the memory facts I showed you on Session 1

The lesson here is have a strategy when you get stuck but ultimately you need to memorize this fact and keep it memorized.  Like you know your own name or your favorite color.  It needs to turn into something you really don't need to think about, but just be a thing you always just know.

So today we will focus on 3 x 8.  

The video below will walk you through how to solve this math fact in a pinch while you are working on something challenging with many math steps you don't want to be bogged down with, "what is 3x8?"




Those of you that are working on memorizing, go ahead and challenge yourself on the website below but choose Times Tables and then choose x 8 and text me your score.


Some of you congratulations already have this mastered within 5 seconds or less.  You should refer to the website on the blog and challenged your self to learn something else.

Work on http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ for 10 minutes to get you warmed up.
On this site you want to hit Maths (When I taught in New Zealand they refer to Math as "Maths".  The website ends in "uk" so you can probably guess that the folks from the United Kingdom say it too).
Go to Hit The Button:  Those of you seeking a challenge, try halves from 50 to 100 since we are in the fraction world in our NEED skills.
Text me your score on it when you are done.

END OF THE DAY NEWS:
In the world of technology, I still have much to learn.  Today's lesson is simple then.  From the previous blogs, I wanted you to work on something to master and get ye' ol' brain warmed up.
Memorize a math fact a day and/or challenge yourself to something from Hit The Button.
We will leave it at that today until I can get better acquainted with video uploading.

My current issue is I can load a video of me off of my computer with no problem like you saw today.
I can't however show you how to do work because everything comes at you backwards like looking at words in a mirror.  I could however use my cell phone for that.  So when I tried to upload the same idea just with the cell phone, loading length became a problem all of a sudden.  I will therefore cut it short today.  You have 4 days to text make up work.  Please be aware, the picture has to be something I can read.  Most of your work came in too hazy or blurry to read.

Be Well.
Lew

No comments:

Post a Comment