Tuesday, March 24, 2020

School From Home Session 7 Tuesday March 24th



March 24th
Update:
Yesterday I "think" I figured out video creation from home computer where you can see the words NOT backwards.  It is not as easy as you might think, trust me!
So... I will be going back over previous blog content in an effort to give you lessons to help you.
All of the assignments in the blogs are the same as what we would do in class except for the NEW math skills so I took more time to explain that part.  I am focused on a video that goes with the print so you aren't left without an actual teacher or a real lesson.
Therefore, it is time to get up and going!

Shout out:
I see that some of you have been getting back on Exact Path this past week.  That's great!  So today's shout out goes to NB, MB, LJ, NL, DRH, AMR and JW.
AMR has logged the most time on Exact Path since the shut down so great job my friend!

Coming Up: 
Today I hope to figure out how to create a lesson for NEED skills

Reminder:
All assignments are due Mar 27th.

Today's Assignments
Math
20 Minutes on Exact Path (Math Learning Path)
Review Mar 16th Do Now


8:00 Mastery Skill

HAVING A STRATEGY WHEN YOU ARE STUCK (NO MORE GUESSING!!!)
1) memory fact (remember a new one each day)

Yesterday's fact was 3 x 8 OR 8 x 3

Today's fact is 4 x 8 OR 8 x 4

Remember if you have 3 x 8 memorized you can highlight that on your chart as something you won't forget and can move on to the next one you aren't so sure about.
If you just want to follow the pace of the blog, that is ok too.
The goal is to build a mastery of these facts so they don't slow you down from higher levels of learning.

I will keep the 8s listed.

Like yesterday:  (go back and see yesterday's video on this)  
Make a chart of 8s or 4s until you get to 4 x 8 OR 8 x 4
Number your paper from 1 up to 9 
Put a 4 under the 1 and start adding by 4s until you get up to 8
EXAMPLE:
1      2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
4   +4   +4    +4   +4

4     8     12    16   20.... keep going

OR

Put an 8 under the 1 and start adding by 8s until you get to 4

1      2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9
8   +8   +8    +8   +8

8    16.... keep going


Those of you that are working on memorizing, go ahead and challenge yourself on the website below but choose Times Tables and then choose x 8 and text me your score.

Some of you, congratulations you already have this mastered within 5 seconds or less.  You should refer to the website on the blog and challenged your self to learn something else.

Work on http://www.topmarks.co.uk/ for 10 minutes to get you warmed up.
On this site you want to hit Maths (When I taught in New Zealand they refer to Math as "Maths".  The website ends in "uk" so you can probably guess that the folks from the United Kingdom say it too).
Go to Hit The Button:  Those of you seeking a challenge, try halves from 50 to 100 since we are in the fraction world in our NEED skills.
Text me your score on it when you are done.

8:15 Exact Path Math  (20 minutes)
Log on to your learning path.  My 3 recent students use Moby Max Math.  Your time will still count for you.


8:45 Math Do Now Review (text me the work when you are done)
The March 16th Do Now is on Session 1 of the Blog.  You can go under the picture of my daughter feeding the birds to find old blog content and resources.

Review:  I am going to skip #1, #2 and #3 since those are very basic review.
However if you have a question on those you can text, email, ask a question in the blog comments at the bottom too.

I will focus on #4 and #5
These skill are not a 5th grade component but if you forgot it, you lost it, so it is my job to teach, reteach, keep it fresh and keep you up to speed.

So here we go:  #4
This is not something I taught directly but knew from our NWEA scores that we have a weak area in Geometry so I will spend some time going over some things to get you up to speed.

Your objective is to be able to say how many FACES your object will have if you put a PYRAMID on top of a CUBE.
You know me seeing is believing so take a look at the images I created below.

In this image, I drew a cube and a pyramid as much to scale as I could.  If you were to put the pyramid on top of the cube.  How many faces would the new shape have?
Knowing what a face is would help.  👪 Ok.  Well simply put this emoji has 3 faces right?  Ok a face on a cube or any solid shape (3-D shape) has faces.  All you have to do is count the amount of sides of the solid shape.

Keep in mind once you put the pyramid on top of the cube.  The base (bottom) of the pyramid would no longer count, nor would the top of the cube.

See image below:

This may seem confusing because the bottom of the cube isn't visible to you at the moment, so why would that count?
Well, if you picked up the whole thing you would see the base again.  The pyramid and the cube are not a combined shape.

The cube originally has 6 faces.
The pyramid originally has 5 faces.
You would initially just think, oh ok, 11 faces, 5 + 6 but that would not be correct.

So if the top of the cube and the base of the pyramid no longer count,  how many faces does the shape above have now?

#5
How many feet are in 9 yards?
HINT: 3 feet = 1 yard
Inch (in.) (") a real world equivalent is the first knuckle of your finger to the tip of your finger.

Foot (ft.) (') a real world equivalent is about the length of your wrist to your elbow.
("Ha ha ha Mr. Lew has hairy arms man!")

Yard (yd.) a real world equivalent is about the length of your arms outstretched from wrist to wrist.

Keeping in mind real world equivalents from the pictures.
I drew an image to help you figure it out a little better.

SEE BELOW:
I made a line graph showing 9 yards in distance.
To the left I started to show you the equivalent that 3 feet equals 1 yard.
You should be able to take it from there.
This again is another example of drawing your thinking out to solve more complex problems.
The math has a way of just showing itself to you when you draw things out.
Finish the question on your own.

Want to make these shapes for yourself?!
I have to credit the idea to www.superteacherworksheets.com.  I use this website quite a bit to get ideas or post questions to practice.

Draw an 8 inch rectangle with each side of your square 2 inches in length.  Make sure your tabs are big enough.

Cut it out.
Fold on the lines
Tape or glue it together at the tabs.  For a better look and fit the tabs should go inside the box.

Pyramid?
Draw the base of the pyramid.  I went with 3 inch lines.
For the the triangle faces, I picked a half way point on each square edge and drew a 2 1/2 inch line straight out.  I just connected the triangle sides from there.
Take time and be sure your tabs are being put in the correct spots.


End of the day Review
This online school must be much easier huh?!
I only made it to the Do Now today.  It certainly takes more time, thought and planning bringing you video footage but it makes it more fun.

Y'all be well, stay safe, know that I love you and thinking about you.

I will try to get lessons up on our NEED skills tomorrow.
Had an online meeting with Ms. Brown and the teachers today so I had to cut planning for the blog short.
Have a great night.
See you tomorrow.
Lew

No comments:

Post a Comment