Friday, March 27, 2020

School From Home Session 10 Friday March 27th

Hello everyone!


No late start for me today.  For some reason I was awake at 5 am.  I couldn't go back to sleep so I thought... Go ride your bike.  So I got some gear on and braced for cold winds of the morning.

Quick side story:  Starting in 2011, I began what is known as a BGBY  (Big Green Bird Year).  For several years I would challenge myself to identify as many species of birds in one year.  The trick is, the bird only counts IF you are on foot, bike or boat with no use or aid of fuel source.  You can't drive to a park, walk around, see a bunch of birds drive home and then it counts.  Nope.  Wherever you live is your starting point and you must return the same way without the use of fossil fuels or alternative energy source.  You have to rely on sheer physical effort.  You can count birds while sitting on your patio, walking in your neighborhood or riding a bike.

My best effort was back in 2013, I recorded 157 species of birds.  Oh, I am not the only nut out there doing this.  There are not many other crazies like me but there are some.
Listed below are some of the bird/bike nuts like me!

STATE GREEN LIFE LIST
      
286 – Andrew Dettling
214 – Nathan DeBruine 
190 – Ed Lewandowski


STATE BIGBY YEAR LIST
      GREEN BIG YEAR 
        - No Vehicle Used


264 – Andrew Dettling ‘11
245 – Alison Vilag ‘09
240 – Andrew Dettling ‘15
236 – Andrew Dettling ‘13
228 – Jacco Gelderloos ‘11
227 – Matt Hysell ‘08
219 – Andrew Dettling ‘12


211 – Andrew Dettling ‘14

157- Ed Lewandowski '13

To tell you that this can be an obsession is an understatement!  Andy Dettling saw 264 birds on his bike in one year!  That is insane!  The most birds I saw in one year was last year with 270 and I DROVE all over the lovely state of Michigan to do it.
What he accomplished that year is simply amazing!  You would not believe what lengths he took to do it!

The reason for this topic this morning loops back to the "unicorn power" sign off you may have watched on yesterday's blog video.  A unicorn is a make believe horse with a singular horn that sticks out of its head basically?! They do signify something rare or unique.  A one of a kind species that stands out on its own.  My girls and I have embraced the unicorn as being an original.  Be one of a kind.  Live your life by your own measure.  The smiling unicorn picture you will find on the shelf of our classroom reminds me to be happy and strive for the impossible.  With this mantra, you will set yourself apart as the "unicorn" of the world around you.

This morning was another opportunity to get out and ride my bike looking for birds when I otherwise would have been meeting you at the door with a multiplication fact to have mastered.
I rode about 6-8 miles enjoying the cool air and recent rush of the sights and sounds of wildlife coming into our area of the world.

On my way, I found a Fox Sparrow.  A FOY (First Of the Year) bird!  The Fox Sparrow is a larger bird in the sparrow family of birds and well named for its Fox like color.  The bird will stand out in the crowd with its beautiful reddish-brown color and amazing songs and warbles.
ML48144671 Fox Sparrow (Red) Macaulay Library       

The Fox Sparrow
(My BGBY bird species #32 this year)
(My 88th bird species overall this year)

Man's instructions for daughter about feeding a wild fox delight ...









The Fox

You might be think, Ok, Lew, you are talking about weird people that ride bikes all over to find birds, count them over the year, unicorn power and some fox bird?  Where are you going with all this?!

I am trying to encourage you to seek out unique and interesting things in your day while you have the chance to.
Make something with paper, read a new book, build a puzzle, try to do 39 push ups in one minute, create some unicorn art, clean out the basement, help make dinner, fix a toilet, tell your family 5 things you are thankful for, do something, anything!  Go find adventure in your day today!
That is my message to you this morning and the Something To Ponder About #1.

Here are some suggested places for you on and adventure that are not too far from home:
1) Waterford Oaks County Park- Just south of Dixie Hwy on Scott Lake Road.  Not too far from the Old Summit Place Mall
Take shoes you don't mind getting wet or muddy.

2) Hawk Woods Nature Preserve- Off of Exit 81 across from the Palace.  Take 24 south to the turnaround and follow the the signs to the nature preserve on Shimmons Rd. that turns into Bald Mountain Rd.  This was one of my absolute favorite walks when I lived in Pontiac.  Take shoes you don't mind getting wet or muddy.

3) River Woods Park- Take 59 towards Rochester and Exit on Squirrel Rd. heading south.  Take the first turnaround and you are at the park.  There are paved trails but I still advise going off path but take shoes you don't mind getting wet or muddy in case you do.

4) Clinton River Bike Trail- The best place to start is at the Opdyke Rd. Trailhead.   This nice paved path takes you to downtown Auburn Hills and beyond...

5) West Bloomfield Bike Trail- I suggest parking at Home Depot on Orchard Lake Rd and Telegraph.
This is another nice surface path that takes you all the way to Orchard Lake and beyond...

I used everyone of these spots for my BGBY bird adventures!


Something To Ponder About #2
When things in our routine lives get thrown off like they have, we need to learn to adjust what I hear people call, "your new normal."
I feel like "my new normal" changes each day.  Yesterday I nudged you to think about 5 things you are thankful for.

Today I want to shift your thinking to:  What 5 things stand out to you as the most different things about your life lately?

1) Planning-  On any given day, I know what time I have to be up for work.  I have not been eating at Tim Hortons for two weeks!  That is one of the craziest things about what is different.  So I plan my own coffee and take a bit more effort to enjoy a solid breakfast.  I differently plan to teach in a sweatshirt, baseball hat, not wearing shoes and sit in front of a computer thinking about what to say in a blog instead of in front of a bunch of lovely faces.
I plan my day based on the weather so much more.  I check the weather report to see when I should go outside, workout or what I should do.

2) Facebook-  I have never really been a big Facebook guy but I am using Facebook more than ever these days.  I watch work out videos from our Kickboxing class to keep me motivated, get into great shape and stay that way.  This is very different because I am determined to make it to a class as much as possible but with it closed down, I have to get used to working out online.  I have been connecting with new people from the workout studio about good meals to make, high protein snacks and encouraging each to stay fit.

3) Cats-  We have 3 cats even though I am more of a dog person, we can't handle the allergies of a dog.  The cats know we are home and are being spoiled!  We pet them more often and throughout the day.  On days when I get home from work (Daddy's Cat; Ginger) our oldest cat will follow me around the rest of the night and basically forces me to pet her.  She has to get her fill of petting from me not being around all day.  Now, she just pops in once and awhile to say hi, get a quick pat and head out for the next nap.

4) Clean- I would not normally clean out the basement!  Nobody likes to go down there because when we get busy we get in a bad habit of leaving stuff here, there, anywhere and forget about because we can't see it.  So I am cleaning the basement.  I am also trying my hand at putting tile on our basement stairs for the first time.  Wish me luck.  Lots of math involved for solving area, angles, precise cuts to make the tile fit the space and how much money to budget on the project.  Me putting in tile,  THAT'S DIFFERENT!!!

5) People- My family and I are doing our part to stay home and keep social distance.  This is probably the hardest because I am a pretty talkative person.  People are acting different for sure.  I find that people are less likely to wave or say hello.  I find this to be odd.  Saying hello and waving can't give you illness.  Really, the wave and hello give you a sense of happiness and community which is the best medicine for fighting off stress and things can lead to illness.  Today, on my morning bike ride, a woman walking her dog waved and said hello very enthusiastically!  I found myself smiling and said, "hello and good morning" louder than I normally would.  It stuck with me because the friendliness of a simple hello inspired me to type this and tell you about it. In times like these, it is a blessing to stay positive and happy.  Kids in our neighborhood are doing things like writing nice messages or drawings on the sidewalk in chalk. The girls aunties sent them a package of fun activities to do.  I encourage everyone to do something kind for someone else.  Happiness spreads on to others, so pass it on!

Those are my 5 different things lately?
What are yours?!

Something To Ponder About #3
In this last segment of the day, I want to point out a few things to keep in mind.

1) Today is the last day to turn in work.  The deadline is 3:30 unless I am told otherwise by the school.

2) Anything that you turn in from the blog will not count against you.  Every activity in green writing from the blog are your assignments that can go towards helping your grades.

Your blog responses do not have to be as long as mine are, but just text me your answers and I will give you credit for improving your grades.

Now back to the Something to Ponder #3.
Joining us today is my daughter Makayla

Being reflective:  Makayla has a journal she keeps for goal setting and keeping herself organized from week to week.  On Sunday mornings we usually make brunch and share what our goals are.

It is a good thing to be reflective and look back on things.  What was good, what was not so good.  Look back on things you did do or wanted to do but you couldn't find a way to get to it.  Or even if you had a rough week, it helps you take time to reflect on why it was so rough and now you have a chance to think deeper on it and make a change.

These are the categories you can use each day.  You can keep them to yourself, share with someone or share with the family like we do.

Enjoy!

For the coming week:
I'd Love To:

I'm Looking Forward To:

I Need To:

Fitness Goals:

I'm Grateful For:  

I Enjoyed:  

I Accomplished:

Silver Linings:

Mindful Moments:

Take some time one day a week and reflect on your week.  Set goals and think about what you want to accomplish.  This is a common trait followed by successful people and now you can use this idea in the future.

Have a great weekend and see you soon!
Lew


No comments:

Post a Comment