Thursday, March 26, 2020

School From Home Session 9 Thursday March 26th

Hello everyone!

I am starting this blog much later today.  I was very busy on the homefront as much changes when you are actually at home working AND so is EVERYBODY else.  So that certainly mixes up the operations of the goings on at the Lew household.

Anyways... I mentioned in a previous blog, that as of Thursday of this week the work would pretty much stop.  I need time to put grades in and get organized.  Any work that you did from the blog just helps your grade.  For each assignment you turned in and I am able to read and grade, I used it to boost an old assignment or a missing assignment like the work you did.

So with no work coming to you for the next couple of days.  Use the time to get any last minute assignments turned in.  I will stop grading at 3:30 pm tomorrow.  You can text what work you did to me or send through Class Dojo.

Here's what happening today:  I will keep things light and fun in these next couple of blogs for some ideas to consider while you are at home.

Something to ponder about #1) 
5 Things you are thankful for...
This idea was inspired by my Kickboxing Class
We can't work out there so they gave us things to do to stay in shape.
I challenge you to the 20 minutes of push ups in 1 minute.
I got up to 38.
Can you beat the old man?!

1) Technology-  I am thankful for someone that at one point had the creative genius to figure out how to move water inside of a house.  I don't know if you realize this but when I was a kid, we went up north to a small cabin in the very remote wilderness.  There was no running water.  You wanted water?  You took a big 5 gallon water bag, took the trail down the hill toward the marsh where the water pump was.  You needed some water left in the bag to pour into the top of the water pump for water to start coming out.  So you hold a WATER ONLY funnel up over the water bag with one hand and pump with the other.  Any water coming out was absolutely ICE COLD!  You needed it to be ice cold too because on a hot summer day you still had to lug that 5 gallon water bag up the hill.  I can tell you at your age, I was scrawny and small so I had to build muscles if I wanted water.

Which leads me to toilets.  Yes my lovely cherubs, I am thankful for a toilet today.  For a few days, we didn't have one.  Somebody, I won't mention names, decided to use said broken toilet.  The house quickly started to smell like, well, sewage!  Fun!
Which leads me back to being thankful for technology.  I am able to communicate in ways that I could not when I was your age.  There were no phones at our cabin.  NONE!  NOTHING!  You wanted to make a call you had to put change into what is known as a pay phone and then call.  That was 10 miles away too.
So with the technology, I was able to use a glorious website we call You Tube.  I watched a guy show me how to fix a toilet.  So I did.  Quick run to Home Depot and $7.00 later, we can flush and water flows in and then out of the household.  Oh yeah, we also had to use what is known as an outhouse up at the cabin too.  These are not like the blue, green or brown (sometimes yellow) port a johns you guys are used to.  These are semi-permanent wooden structures that sit over a hole that YOU dig in the ground and handle your business.  There are almost always spiders and even when it is cold in the winter, you still have to walk down the hill and go sit on a not so warm toilet seat.

Toilet repair at its finest.

So technology has allowed me to fix problems like that and how to continue to teach without being in front of you at school!

2) Warmer weather-  Goes without saying, I am very thankful for this. That means birds are coming!  That means it will be time to open the pool and go swimming!  I saw so many more people out yesterday than I have all week thanks to warmth of the sun and blue skies.

3) Time- I am thankful for time.  I hate to go back to the bathroom scenario again but teachers literally have to time and plan when they will go use the restroom.  You could ask and go 4 times.  I am thankful that I am not stuck in a way that I absolutely must do something.  It is odd to have to really plan for what I want to do, should do and must do.

4) New opportunities-  I am thankful for figuring out new ways of doing things or doing things I don't do.  I am now on my second major puzzle.  I finished a 1,000 piece puzzle with Ella and getting close to finished with a 500 piece puzzle I bought for the girls to do.

I bought hours of entertainment on my new puzzle at the dollar store.

5) Family- I am of course thankful we are all safe and healthy.  We all get along well and pretty much never run out of things to do to keep us from getting, dare I say it... Bored!

What are 5 things you are thankful for lately?




Something to ponder about #2
How much reading are you doing?  My girls are taking full advantage of our class Epic app.  They have been reading about an hour a day outside of their online homework.
I will pick up where we left off with Who is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?  As they say in the biz, "The show must go on!"  So I read from where we left off.

Sit back and enjoy!


Oh Kayla found that on Epic they now have a couple Diary of a Wimpy Kid books on there and wanted me to tell you.

Something to ponder about #3
We done gone paper crazy up in here!  I will let Ella show you.


Have a nice night and see you tomorrow!
Lew


No comments:

Post a Comment